Friday 4 June 2010

Snot Tonight, Dear.


I had an unforseen delay in my painting last night as my poor daughter has come down with (another) cold, so most of mine and my wife's evening was spent looking after her.  It was a case of going to bed early and cramming in as much sleep as we were able to before the inevitable mid-night wake-up calls.

We managed to do okay in the end, with only a couple of hours up each (well, less than that for me, possibly more for my wife...) but we're bracing ourselves for more of the same tonight, so maybe not too much hobby then either.

Still, I did manage to get a good deal done on Njal's base:



The red-brown areas that you see are Dark Flesh washed into the recesses.  At the moment, where it's spilled onto the edges of the cracks, it looks like I've tried to do some sort of blood effect, but I assure you it's not.  I'm going to put a thinned-down Badab Black or Devlan Mud wash over the Dark Flesh to make the cracks a little bit darker before tidying up the edges with a drybrush of Skull White and then a sprinkling of snow.

Up until the snow, I've followed the same technique as on the Games Workshop website for painting the stone on the Skaven Screaming Bell.  It seems to work quite well so far, but of course we'll have to wait for the finished item before passing judgment...

I also managed to start painting the five Ork Nobz from the Black Reach box (along with the big gunz on the two remaining Ork Boyz):







This stage is the one that I find the hardest on the metal bits, simply because they look very uninspiring to start off with.  But soon, after two washes of Badab Black, a Devlan Mud wash, some black-and-white glyphs, a deliberately very rough edge highlight of Chainmail, another two washes of Devlan Mud and finally a drybrush of Chainmail, they're going to look pretty good.

I think on the Nobz, I'm going to keep all of the washes slightly thinner than those of the Boyz because I reckon the Nobz will get their pick of the shiniest scrap to use for their armour.

Anyway, I'd love to muse more on these big buggers, but I can hear a little monkey coughing upstairs...


2 comments:

  1. mate they look awsome and nigels base looks good to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You joke about the name, but I was researching Norse names and got the following for Njal:

    - It means 'Great Warrior'.

    - The 'J' is pronounced like the 'J' in the word 'Fjord', making it 'Nee-yal'

    - Njal IS where the name 'Neil' comes from. He is literally 'Neil Stormcaller'!

    ReplyDelete