Friday 18 June 2010

(Almost) Nothing to Report.

Just a quick update for today really, as I've done all of the painting that I'm likely to be able to do until probably Sunday night - depending on how steady my hands feel after the England game tonight!

I've made a start on the dreaded wolf-skin cloak, and although I've come to terms with the fact that I'm never going to get Njal looking like the 'Eavy Metal example, I still want to get the colour scheme as similar as I can.

The problem with this is the fact that there is not tutorial for this particular colour of wolf - being older and wiser, the wolf itself is more grey than the usual browns of the rest of the army.  Because of this, I'm left to actually sit down and create my own colour scheme for it.  Aaargh!

To be honest, it's quite nice to be able to break away from the normal lists of paints cribbed from the pages of White Dwarf and actually have to be a bit more creative about the way I paint.

I'm kind of making it up as I go along - although I've chosen my pallette, their exact application remains on a suck-it-and-see basis!  So far, I have started by touching up the undercoat with Chaos Black and then applying a Charadon Granite Foundation, followed by a thinned down Badab Black wash.

This is now drying, but when I get a chance to get back to it, I'm going to gradually blend up the Charadon Granite from the Chaos Black before highlighting the tips of the fur with gradually lighter shades of grey, finally coming up to Skull White on a very few of the tips.

As per the advice of the 'Eavy Metal experts, I'm going to try and make the fur lighter towards the outsides (the underside of the animal) and the tip of the tail, leaving the creature's back fairly dark.

Hopefully, it should look good!

I haven't bothered taking a photo at this stage.  Just look at the previous post's photos and imagine the fur only very slightly lighter...

No comments:

Post a Comment