Tuesday 29 June 2010

Funda-Birds are GO!


 
So, having left Njal to quietly weep in the corner for a couple of weeks (and hopefully no more than that!), I made a start last night on the Ork Deff Koptas.

They really are awesome miniatures - mainly for the fact that they look so cool, but are so simple, with very little detail.  That's not a criticism - it takes a real pro to sculpt a model so reservedly and yet have it look so nice.

Anyway, the starting grid:



(Please feel free to add your own chopper sound effects while reading this...)

I've broken the miniatures down into several stages.  Firstly, for ease of packaging and transport, I'm going to leave the rotor blades and the bases loose, as they are easy to take off and on without doing any damage to the paint job.

As for the colour schemes used, I'm going to paint the three pilots in the same palette that I've used for the rest of the Orks in the set, but I'm a big fan of the Deff Kopta Painting Guide on the Games Workshop website, so I'll be using their method to paint the actual flying machines.

The pilots' arms will be glued on just before I start the Ork skin, but while I paint the browns and blacks, I'm going to leave them seperate so that I can get into all of the hard-to-reach places on the main model.

Anyway, last night, I managed to get all of the blacks done on the pilots - basically, just their trousers and gloves.  The process was as follows:

Chaos Black.
1:1 Chaos Black / Codex Grey.
Drybrush Codex Grey.
Devlan Mud wash.
Badab Black wash.

Once they had dried, I basecoated all of the browns with Scorched Brown and then washed them with Devlan Mud.  I then left them to dry overnight.

Having a few minutes spare this morning, I painted Bestial Brown onto these bits as a mid-tone:



Hopefully tonight I will be able to apply a 1:1 highlight of Bestial Brown and Snakebite Leather and then an extreme highlight of pure Snakebite Leather.  After this, I'll wash over some thinned Devlan Mud before re-applying the Snakebite Leather when it's dry.

If I can finish that tonight, that'll leave me clear to start the Orky flesh before finishing off the finer details of the pilots later on this week.

And then the fun bit really begins...!

No comments:

Post a Comment