Thursday 29 July 2010

Grey Gold!





Hurrah!!  I was beginning to give up hope!  But luckily, Games Workshop Colchester didn't let me down!

Space Wolves Grey paint is in such short supply at the moment that it's been removed from the GW website (although I'm not sure why they don't just list it as 'Out Of Stock'...) so imagine my surprise when I walked into the store and found they'd had a delivery of it!

Even the manager seemed very proud - telling me with enthusiasm that it had only just come in and he'd managed to get eight pots.

I bought three of them.

Now, before you call me mad and accuse me of some sort of end-of-the-world panic buying, I must point out that two of them are going to be used to mix up a large batch of my armour mixes for my Space Wolves, and the other is going to top up my ever-dwindling supply.

Saying that, I was tempted to buy another could 'just in case', but managed to stop myself!!

And there you have it, I am probably the only person in the world sad enough to post a blog about nothing but paint.  With a photo.

Of three pots.

Okay, I'm going to drag myself back from the brink a little now:


The rabble above is the work so far on my Orc and Human Blood Bowl teams.  As you can tell, I've started on the blacks for both teams, letting me paint both at the same time (hard work, but very satisfying because it makes me feel like I'm ploughing through at double-speed!).

To save time, I've skipped one stage of the 'Eavy Metal Masterclass, because they were starting to look very etherial, and have drybrushed the final highlight of (wait for it...) Space Wolves Grey (!) onto the armour - and the rest of the miniatures, as you can see from the photo.  I always make it a point to try and avoid drybrushing when possible and, if it is absolutely necessary, reserve it for the first colour area so that I can be as messy around the edges as I like.

Now, to smooth it over a little, I'm going to add another thin wash of Choas Black paint.  The reason for not using Badab Black is because although much thicker and richer, making it ideal for getting a much deeper shading effect, it tends to have a shine to it as well.  Although washing with black paint is flatter, it is seeming to work quite well for these miniatures... But of course we'll have to see the finished teams before we can really pass any true judgement...

And of course, while that wash dries, I'll be mixing together my master pots for my Space Wolves' Power Armour...  GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr...!

(If anyone has a life to spare, I really could do with one...)

No comments:

Post a Comment