Monday 9 August 2010

Redlock.

It's been a few days since I last added any updates, but unfortunately I've been wading through a soggy mire of reds and oranges.

The Orc Blood Bowl team that I'm painting at the moment is going to have a deep red armour, with black cloth and some tainted metal decoration.  Apart from the flesh, which I always prefer to do last, red is the most prominant colour on the Orcs, so I decided to start with that...

I started three days ago.

Don't get me wrong, it's all going very well, but large areas of red are fairly new to me - small details, Space Marine auspexes, Orc/k eyes, yeah - I can do them very comfortably.  But to get a strong red takes me a lot of work...

And the work is still on-going:







With a bit of luck, all that remains in a final hard-edge highlight of Vomit Brown, but here's how I got to where I'm at now:

  • Two thin coats of Mechrite Red were followed by...
  • A wash of Asurmen Blue into the recesses of the armour...
  • Then a highlight using a 1:1 mix of Mechrite Red and Blazing Orange...
  • And a highlight of pure Blazing Orange after that.
  • Then came a highlight of 1:1 Blazing Orange and Vomit Brown...
  • And finally, two coats of Baal Red Wash.
I'm still applying the wash to some of the miniatures (I'm waiting for the first coat to dry on a few of them at the moment...), so I'm off to finish that now and then hopefully I should get the final highlight done by the end of tomorrow.

Goodnight for now!

4 comments:

  1. I would have got blood red in there mate, gives it a redder colour to the plates and is a good mid tone between mecrite red and your highlights

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fair point, it was very tempting. If once the final highlight is on it still seems a little bit too deep, I'l probably blend the armour back a bit with Blood Red - but we'll have to wait and see! Fingers crossed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers mate! Bit of a compromise, I gave them a Blood Red glaze instead after the Vomit Brown highlight. Looking very nice so far, I just need to re-touch the VB on the very edges.

    My mission is to finish the reds tonight.

    At. Any. Cost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. £1.49


    cool mate I can not wait to see how they look

    ReplyDelete