Wednesday 11 August 2010

Red Rum! Red Rum!

Aaaaaaargh!  It was there!  It was - well, almost there, and then I got a bit too clever for my own good and messed it up!

Not fatally, but enough to add another day to the reds!

That's right, the reds still aren't finished.  This is slowly becoming a record.

I decided to redden the reds even more by applying a thin glaze of Blood Red to the finished armour.

Ooh, I though, that looks lovely.  Let's do a bit more, not stopping to consider that I was essentially washing a lighter colour into the recesses.

The first coat looked nice.  The second looked hideous.  Basically, the shaded parts of the armour were the lightest bits!

Next time, I need to just leave things alone.

Never mind though, all is not lost!

It turns out that the armour looks very nice (and finished!) if I finally do the Vomit Brown highlight and then wash pure Baal Red over the armour...


A bit of a Before-and-After example there.  If you're wondering, the 'good' one is the one on the right!

Anyway, too late to do any more now, so off to bed and fingers crossed that after tomorrow I may be able to paint something other than bleeding red!

4 comments:

  1. Everyone loves to wash and drybrush now a days. Don't people actually learn how to layer highlights and blend anymore?

    Good luck with your dark red, it can be tricky to get just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are two ways to look at it, really. People who are painting their miniatures for the love of painting I think will always try layering and blending - after all, the joy of painting comes from pushing yourself to make every miniature better than the last.

    I think that people who simply wash and drybrush are more fans of the gaming side and are doing that in order to get their armies on the table.

    I think we can all agree that it's better to see a drybrushed miniature on the table than one that is simply undercoated or not even painted at all.

    I know a lot of people who drybrush their miniatures and they have a lot more armies to play with than I do at the moment!

    Either way, no matter what the standard or method, Painted Is King!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to jump in on this one, I used to paint slow layers of lighter and lighter shades to get the highlight, took forever but the models looked great. Had a few on display but never got to play with any on the table as they were only ever single models. Now I want an army to play with and if that means washing and drybrushing (although I tend to wet brush these days) then so be it, and to be honest they can look just as good if you do it right.

    Anyway I like the red on the left, sorry but I do. It must be all the red I have been doing of late that is warping my mind.

    To see my examples of red please head over to www.bloodangelarmy.blogspot.com (shameless plug!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the one on the left looks nice in the picture, but it's actually in negative when you look in real life - the highlights are darker than the shades!

    It really depends on what you're going for. I'm trying for a really deep, dark red on these - whereas the one on the left would be perfect for a certain Space Marine Chapter thast I refuse to mention!!

    (http://bloodangelarmy.blogspot.com !!!)

    ReplyDelete