Monday 25 October 2010

We're Still Here...

A friend of mine recently asked (rather sarcastically) whether or not I thought that, as my blog was called 'The Great Howling', I ought to mention my Space Wolves once in a while.

My initial response to him isn't really suitable for print, but it did make me wonder whether I shouldn't be focusing a bit more time on what is supposed to be my primary army project.

It's not that nothing's been happening with them, it's just that as they were always an 'ongoing concern', it has been very easy to push them aside in favour of working on something with a more immediate reward (for example, Blood Bowl teams, etc.).

However, since this year's Bunker Bowl tournament is now done and dusted and the new league doesn't start until next year (just you wait for my newly converted Wood Elf team!!!), I've decided that although I'm still going to be getting in regular games of everybody's favourite miniature-based sport, my painting time is going to be completely devoted to my neglected Space Wolves.

And it's because of this that I've accepted a challenge from my rather sarcastic friend - to get at least 1000pts of Space Wolves basecoated by the time I go and visit him in Nottingham so that we can play 40k against each other for the first time in over ten years.

Now, flying in the face of my 'finished-or-bust' philosophy, I must stress that I'm going to basecoat them.  Let's be realistic - I'll never get them completely finished in time!

However, it does then leave it to me to work as hard and fast as I can to do more than their basecoats before November for the sake of my own pride.

So what does this entail, I hear you ask?

Well, so far, completed, I have:


Njal Stormcaller...
Six Blood Claws...
Um...
Ummmm....

Well, okay, that's it - but Njal is over a quarter of the points of the whole army, so that's something!!

And the rest, well:


Another four Blood Claws...
Lukas the Trickster...
Ten Grey Hunters...
Five Grey Hunters or Blood Claws...
Five Wolf Guard with jump packs and Wolf Claws...
A Drop Pod...
Five Wolf Scouts...
Five Wolf Guard Terminators (in the post)...

I reckon that should easily break the 1000pt mark.  Saying that, I may not include Lukas as I want to do a top-notch paint job on him, so I may either see what time I get after the main army is painted to a gaming standard, or simply wait until after the November game.

Whichever I decide, no doubt the next few days will be spent feverishly gluing fiddly plastic bits together before I blast them with my spray gun.

The challenge begins... NOW!!!

Oh, and as for the Wolf Guard Terminators that are in the post - I have to thank my sarcastic friend for those.

Cheers mate.

1 comment: