Tuesday 5 October 2010

Girth! Girth! Girth!

Well, three days for one miniature, that has to be a record for me!  I wish I could paint my Space Wolves as fast!!

'The Outrageous' Girth is finished  and I have to say, I'm very pleased with the result:






It’s amazing how all of the little mistakes made during modelling – due to a distinct lack of experience with Green Stuff – are readily masked by a fair paint job.




Of course, as I said before, ‘Eavy Metal it ain’t – but then it does the job.

And besides, even with a liberal coat of varnish, as a Blood Bowl miniature, it’s going to get chipped to buggery during play, so Golden Demon was definitely not what I was aiming for with him.

Here’s how he came together:

• Undercoated with Chaos Black spray and then spray-gunned with a basecoat of Charadon Granite.

• Drybrushed with Khemri Brown, then Dheneb Stone.

• A very light drybrush of Gretchen Green was added.

• The whole miniature was then washed with Devlan Mud.

• After the wash was dry, I re-drybrushed the Dheneb Stone extremely lightly before wet-painting on the same colour as an edge highlight. This was done rather haphazardly in order to keep the treeman looking like a thing of nature.

• Then, the moss and fungus was basecoated Knarloc Green and then drybrushed Gretchen Green and then Dheneb Stone.

• Finally, the exposed trunks were painted Calthan Brown, then Iyanden Darksun before a liberal Leviathan Purple wash was added.

• Then the trunks were worked back up from Iyanden Darksun to pure Bleached Bone.

• Finally, the shoulder pad was painted Space Wolves Grey, washed twice with Ogryn Flesh, painted back up with a 2:1 mix of Ogryn Flesh and Space Wolves Grey and then highlighted with this mix plus a little Skull White. Pure Skull White was then used as an extreme highlight. Then, two washes of Gryphonne Sepia were applied before the edges were re-highlighted with Skull White. The grain effect was given simply by running extremely thin lines of Skull White down the pad.

• The nails were done with Boltgun Metal, two Badab Black washes, a Devlan Mud wash, a Chainmail highlight, two more Devlan Mud washes, and finally an extreme highlight of Chainmail.

• The dirtied-rust effect was just Ogryn Flesh with increasing amounts of Blazing Orange added before being dirtied back down with Devlan Mud.

• The base was painted Bestial Brown and drybrushed Bleached Bone before modelling flock was added.

• The edge of the base was, of course, Goblin Green.

Job done!

In other news, I just wanted to share my excitement at spending half of the UK Games Day this year hovering around the ‘Eavy Metal department and soaking up as many tips as I could.

I had the distinct pleasure of chatting with Kornel Kozak (who won the Bronze Statue in the Open Competition with his beautiful yet stunningly simple Island of Blood Clanrat) and one of my all-time favourite painters, Anja Wettergren.

Hopefully some of their collective genius have rubbed off on me, but we’ll find out at next year’s Golden Demon, which I’m determined to enter – FOR THE FIRST TIME!!! More on that in the coming weeks, I hope...

Until then, one final bit of excitement:


I now own a copy of Island of Blood! I can’t wait to get my Skaven army started. Even now, I can hear grumbles of discontent coming from the direction of the Fang. But my Space Wolves need not panic. They are still my absolute priority.

For now.

2 comments:

  1. Nice idea - I would never have thought to wash a miniature of this colour purple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks amazing mate its tied together nicely

    ReplyDelete