Wednesday 3 November 2010

The Glory So Far...

For the last few days, I've been throwing myself into basecoating my Space Wolves army in preparation for their (and my) first battle on the 27th November.

And what better place to cut their teeth than Warhammer World, in the heart of Games Workshop's HQ?

We really are looking forward to our first battle, despite the main fight being with the rulebook!  It's been over ten years since either me or my opponent have played 40K, so obviously we've never played with this current rule set.  I think I might have to bookmark the important sections of the rulebook, like how to use a Range Ruler* and what the difference is between a chainsword and a lascannon...

*(As a complete aside, a friend of mine recently mentioned that the Games Workshop Range Rulers are not the most accurate measuring devices sometimes.  He took two of them and placed them next to each other, and by the time he got from the base to the tip, there was about half an inch difference between the measurements on them!!)

In all seriousness though, I don't think it'll take us long to pick it up again, especially as our armies don't have much in the way of complicated weaponry or rules.  We'll probably only have one tank on the battlefield - and that's a Rhino, if you want to call it a tank...!

But before that, I have quite a tight painting schedule to stick to.  So far, I've painted the black areas and most of the metallics...





Alright, they don't look like much at the moment (if you read my previous posts, I'm sure you can see the problems I had with the spray gun - meaning hand-painting most of the armour is now on the cards), but I'm pretty confident they'll look good when they're done.

As I said, I have a fairly tight schedule, and here it is...

(DRUM ROLL...)

Wednesday 3rd: Finish metallics
Thursday 4th: Fur, gun straps
Friday 5th: Animal skins & tongues
Saturday 6th-Monday 8th: Bone, stone and parchment
Tuesday 9th: Hair and faces
Thursday 11th: Plasma & power weapons.
Friday 12th-Monday 15th: Reds (AWAY)
Tuesday 16th: Yellows and Purity Seals
Wednesday 17th: Crux Terminatus, Scout trousers, gravel bases
Thursday 18th: Paint bases
Friday 19th-Thursday 25th: Power armour and any extra bits.
 
I'm pretty sure this list covers most of what I need to do, but there will inevitably be the odd bits and pieces that I haven't accounted for.
 
The only unknown element is how long the armour will take to paint.  I've given myself just short of a week, but on thirty-four models, that's still nearly six a night, so I might get a bit pressed towards the end.  The best thing I can try and do is to claw back some time on the smaller, easier bits and then maybe I can get a day or two extra.
 
Of course, that's not even taking into consideration the Drop Pod...
 


No comments:

Post a Comment