Friday 10 September 2010

Slow And Steady May Win The Race...

...But it certainly never got a 3,000 point army painted!

I feel like I've been very slack with the blog just lately.  Much as it may bore and annoy you all, I do quite like making at least one entry a day - but recently I've been busy with other things.

Still, I feel like I'm picking up some small head of steam with my Great Howling, although I did spend the whole night painting the mid-tone onto the armour of THREE Blood Claws.  Hopefully once this stage is complete though, it'll all get much quicker.


As ever, my methods of painting are evolving, and now, when it comes to painting my as-yet-not-owned Battle Forces, I have decided that instead of spraying the basecoat, shading down and then re-applying the base, I'm going to have a go at spraying the shading layer on and then painting upwards from there.

There is of course the danger that the mid-tone will become too dull and muddy, leaving me to apply two or three coats of the Shadow Grey / Space Wolves Grey mix, so I'll definitely try it on just one miniature first...

In other news...

My Blood Bowl Treeman is coming on - well, I won't say 'a treat', more like 'adequately'.  It's always so difficult (to me, at least) to tell how things are looking with Green Stuff until the miniature is actually painted.

I had originally thought that sculpting tree bits would be relatively simple, but I find that my (very inexperienced) sculpting skills lack quite a lot when it comes to giving hard, defined edges.  At the moment, I'm putting on the putty, leaving it to set for an hour or so, then sculpting.  After that, I leave it for twenty-four hours before using a sharp modelling blade carve away any unwanted smoothness:




Above you can see where I've added some extra branches to give the impression of hair and below is a side-on picture showing the work so far on the 'elbow' of the extra branch that will curl around his side.


Underneath you can see quite a nice view of how the branch will be growing out of the Treeman's back...


As you can see from the larger branch, I'm having to build the sculpt up in several sections, so the model will take quite a few days to finish.  I'm not sure this is the normal method of creating something this large, but I am finding it much easier to complete in stages.

Hopefully I'll be adding some more tomorrow, but I'm almost out of Green Stuff and aren't sure when I'll next be able to get into town to replenish my stock.  When I do, I also need to grab a large round base (Blood Bowl uses round instead of square bases) to 'root' him to before I can begin to paint...

In the mean time, if anyone knows of any good articles on sculpting Green Stuff, a link would be very much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment