Monday 6 September 2010

Back in the Game.


Well, after spending a week away from the painting table, up to my neck in pipes, valves, washers, plaster and flooring, I have to say that I've missed it mightily!

I now have running water in my house, which is lovely, but I can't wait to slip back into the habit of painting every day.

Not that I actually did any painting today though...

I had intended to put the basecoat onto some of my Blood Claws (I'm going to paint the squad in two smaller packs of five Wolves instead of attempting all ten in one go), but the weather was thoroughly against me.  It was in fact pouring down and by all accounts will be for the next few days.  So, I put away my GW spray gun and decided to hand-paint the basecoat.  In all honesty, this probably won't lengthen the painting process much as it cuts out the tidying-up phase of painting all of the non-armour back to black again.

Before I could put paint to Power Armour though, I needed to gravel the bases.  It may seem a bit backwards, but I now tend to model and paint the tops of the bases first because (I may have mentioned this before) I can't help rushing them when they're the last thing to do on the piece.  Unfortunately, although there are a great many beautifully-based miniatures out there, for a lot of people the base tends to be an afterthought.  I like to get them done now while the excitement for the project is uber-fresh - and it also means that there is no danger of me making any slips and splashing paint all over the miniature's feet (we've all done it a million times!).  The best of it is that because I'm going to 'snow' the bases at the end, any slips the other way, from miniature to base, can be easily covered.


As a small asside, in preparation for the upcoming Bunker Bowl Blood Bowl tournament, I also started converting my new Treeman miniature.  Well, I say 'new', but I actually mean 'bought part-painted-yet-cheap on eBay'.

The tricky thing was, I wanted to make him a bit more exciting with a few more branches sticking out for 'hair' and another larger branch to make his body more tree-like and less humanoid - but when it comes to Blood Bowl, large creatures are an absolute pain in the backside because they occupy one square in game terms, yet take up about four physically.  This can make it difficult to get other players into his Tackle Zones (although who'd be stupid enough to stand next to an angry Treeman, I don't know!) so I don't want to increase the actual silhouette size of him.

The three strands of 'hair' certainly won't, but the extra brach might yet - although the twists and bends aren't in their final postion yet - I'll shape it more once the glue has dried...





Wherever the final position of the branch rests though, this will definitely be the most tricky Green Stuff sculpting I've yet attempted.

Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment